What makes a relationship healthy? Is it compatibility? Understanding? Similar interests? Or is it a combination of all these factors? With divorce rates shooting up and more and more men and women choosing to remain single, it is important to know what makes a relationship tick.
Love may conquer all, but psychologists and marriage counsellors say that along with love there’s a host of other things that a couple must possess. Mutual trust, interdependence, open and honest conversation, and sexual satisfaction are the cornerstones of a healthy relationship. At the same time, toxic relationships are often defined by lack of trust, unresolved conflicts, contempt, lack of compatibility, infidelity, etc.
Data suggest that although India has one of the lowest divorce rates in the world (only around 1% of married couples end their marriages), it is doesn’t reflect that most Indians are happy in their marriages. In fact, experts believe that factors like financial dependence, patriarchy, lack of institutional and family support and social stigma are some of the main reasons why people choose to stay in a marriage. Therefore, before your marriage or relationship takes a turn for the worse, let’s find out what are the 11 signs that make your relationship healthy.
- Mutual trust: Marriage is like a team play. To succeed in a match, it is important that all players trust one another. Likewise, in a marriage, both the partners must value each other for what they bring to the table: their unique contributions, perspective, and values. It is all about celebrating the uniqueness of each other and depending on each other in times of need.
- Listening to each other: Studies that shown that most marriages break down because couples don’t listen to each other and communicate properly. Therefore, if you have open communication with your partner, it means that you guys listen to one another and have a great relationship.
- Interdependence: Your partner may be great at managing the household while you are great at looking after finances. Together you rely on each other for things that you are bad at. This is called complementarity. You can be said to have a great relationship if you have complementarity.
- Sexual compatibility: This may be a taboo topic, but it is very important for couples to have sexual compatibility. It refers to shared needs and understandings surrounding sex. This ensures that you have a healthy relationship.
- Financial stability: Being financial well-off doesn’t necessarily guarantee happy marriage or a successful relationship. However, financial stability does provide the much-needed foundation on which relationships are built.
- Conflict resolution: Even the best of marriages has conflicts. But mature couples can handle conflicts much better than immature, insecure couples. If you and your partner can talk and resolve conflicts on a daily basis, then it is a sign that your relationship is healthy.
- Individual space: Couples must not be clingy; instead, they should give their partners spaces to thrive and flourish. Each individual has his/her own interests to pursue. Therefore, if your partner is doing things without you, it means that he/she feels comfortable enough to be the person he/she wants to be.
- Emotional connection: The best way for conflict resolution is through having an open and honest conversation. For this, you need to have an emotional connection. If you and your partner trust each other and do not have an issue in sharing personal emotions, both happy and sad, you are in good standing.
- Comfortable chaos: Is your house noisy and chaotic? Worry not, as this is a good sign that you guys feel comfortable in your own skins and are not afraid of sharing your own opinions, feelings and emotions.
- Compromise: Compromise is the key to a successful marriage and a healthy relationship. You win some and you lose some. If you are willing to make certain compromises for your partner without having grudges, then you are in a healthy relationship.
- Handle rough times: The key test of a healthy relationship lies in how you handle the rough weather. All marriages go through moments of highs and lows. Standing by your partner’s side during the bad times shows that you care.